Easy Magic Mushrooms Chocolates Recipes for Beginners
Magic mushroom chocolate is exactly what it sounds like: chocolate with magic mushrooms infused in it. It’s a gratifying process in terms of creation and consumption because it’s simple to create and wonderful to eat! Also, if you use raw cacao, you may be able to boost the effects of the mushrooms as well. Fun fact- it turns out that infusing chocolate with mushroom extract has been done for hundreds of years!
The combination of mushrooms and chocolate may have originated with the Aztecs. The Aztecs, in particular, were utilizing dried magic mushrooms containing psilocybin, a psychoactive chemical that may create a high. These mushrooms were known as teonanacátl, which translates as “flesh of the gods.”
But first, there’s something vital you should know about magic mushrooms and heat: they don’t like it! At roughly 70°C, psilocybin begins to break down. Given this, you must keep temperatures below this degree anytime you prepare anything with magic mushrooms (or truffles). It doesn’t matter if it’s tea, chocolate, or pizza. If you go above this, you risk ruining them completely.
Often, an easy method to keep things safe is to do the most of the cooking first, and then add the mushrooms right at the end, once everything else has cooled. So, for tea, you’d boil the water, let it cool for a few minutes, and then add the mushrooms. When using chocolate, melt it first and then add the mushrooms once it’s cool.
Does Cacao Enhance the Effects of Magic Mushrooms?
Unrefined, raw cacao is a mild MAOI (Monoamine oxidase inhibitor). As a result, it may somewhat lengthen and increase the effects of magic mushrooms when combined. This can be rather unpleasant with higher MAOIs, but it can be quite appealing with cacao.
This may be why the Aztec culture of Central and South America used to combine cacao and Psilocybe Cubensis mushrooms in what is commonly described as the “Aztec combo”.
Most chocolate contains refined cacao, which has had the MAOIs removed. If you wish to include this component in your chocolate, it may be worth adding some more raw cacao at the end, along with the mushrooms.
Magic Mushroom Chocolate Recipe
With that out of the way, let’s get started with the method. Making magic mushroom chocolate is simple and provides a tasty way to consume shrooms. This is our most basic recipe and requires the least amount of ingredients. They are super easy and fun to make, and even more fun to eat!
- Cracker-dry magic mushrooms
- Bars of chocolate (whichever you like the most)
- Raw, unrefined cacao (optional)
- Saucepan (large)
- Metal or glass bowl
- Spoon for stirring
- Coffee grinder or a very sharp knife
- Non-stick baking tray, or chocolate moulds with fun shapes
- Candy or alcohol thermometer (optional)
- The first step is to ensure that your magic mushrooms are completely dry.
- Cut or ground your magic mushrooms into little bits with a sharp knife or coffee grinder. The smaller the size, the better.
- Break up your chocolate and set it in a glass or metal bowl.
- Fill your saucepan halfway with water, then lay your glass or metal bowl on top to make a DIY bain-marie. Allow at least an inch of space between the water and the bowl’s bottom.
- Heat the water in the saucepan over medium heat until it begins to simmer. As the water simmers, the vapour above it heats up and melts the chocolate. Gently stir it with a spoon or a heatproof spatula.
Alternative: If you’re having trouble getting this to work, you can try heating your dish of chocolate on low in the microwave. However, you must keep a close watch on your chocolate because it may quickly burn if microwaved for too long.
- Allow the chocolate to cool for a minute after it has completely melted. Remember that it should be less than 70°C. If you want to be absolutely certain that the temperature is below this level, use a candy or alcohol thermometer.
- Add in your finely chopped or ground mushrooms once the chocolate has cooled slightly but is still liquid. If using, add the raw cacao powder at this step as well.
- Stir the chocolate mixture until the mushrooms (and cacao) are uniformly distributed.
- Pour it carefully into your moulds and lay them in the fridge to cool and harden.
- Once the chocolates have set, enjoy!
How to Dose Magic Mushroom Chocolates
Magic mushroom chocolate dosage is actually fairly simple. Simply use one standard dose of mushrooms per serving of mushroom chocolate.
For example, if you’re preparing a mushroom chocolate bar for two people, use two doses of magic mushrooms and evenly divide them throughout the bar. This will be around one dose per half.
However, it might be difficult to maintain even dispersion throughout your chocolate. Take your first dose with caution, especially if you are not accustomed to the effects of psilocybin. It’s possible that one component contains more than you intended, resulting in a stronger high than you anticipated. This shouldn’t be a problem if you grind and mix your mushrooms thoroughly. When it comes to dose, however, always err on the side of caution.
Magic Mushroom Chocolate Shelf Life
This is largely dependent on the chocolate. If the chocolate is kept sealed and stored in a cool, dark place, it will most likely retain its psychoactive effects for at least a year. The good news is that, while chocolate can taste unpleasant, it usually does not spoil in a damaging way.
If you’d like to experiment with different species of dried shrooms, we encourage you to check out our large variety of top quality dried shrooms from all over the world. You can use these in your shroom chocolate recipes, or you can use the contents of our microdose capsules to ensure you create your chocolates with exactly the right dose you are looking for. Our online shrooms dispensary also carries an extensive selection of delicious shrooms edibles if you’re on the go with very little time to make them yourself. Have a safe and happy trip!